iSTAR 360 camera – one device, many applications
iSTAR is well suited for any application requiring high-resolution, fast, accurate 360º images and video that not only requires the scene to be captured precisely but also the position and orientation.
iSTAR is mainly used either in partnership with laser scanning systems for HDR colourisation of point clouds, or as a standalone device for 360 visual documentation and creating ‘virtual tours’.
iSTAR is used across a very wide range of organisations from industrial areas such as surveying, architecture, construction and civil engineering, to public safety organisations such as police, fire and military, also for heritage, tourism, media and beyond.
With the emphasis on streamlining workflow, iSTAR can be used to rapidly document an environment with a fully linked and GEO tagged project in minutes. Images are captured, uploaded and NCTech software automatically generates “Street View” style navigation using GPS and compass data directly from iSTAR.
Industry standard third party software can also be used to link iSTAR images together with hot-spots to rapidly and easily create virtual tour content.
- Rapidly capture a 360 view of scene of interest using iSTAR
- Move iSTAR to next capture position and take follow on shots
- Batch process panoramas in Immersive Studio
- Import panoramas to virtual tour software, select hot-spot positions and link together to make a tour.
Point Cloud Colourisation
iSTAR is the industry leading solution for rapid HDR colourisation of point clouds from laser scanners. iSTAR not only dramatically improves colour quality for better cloud visualisation, but also saves time on site compared to the internal imaging systems from most laser scanners which can take several minutes.
The point cloud colourisation process is fully automatic in our ColourCloud software, just hit ‘process’ and the software fits the HDR colour data to the scan typically to within two pixel accuracy, with no manual interaction with the data or images. ColourCloud is capable of batch processing when multiple scan/image positions have been captured.
- Scan the scene of interest using your laser scanner of choice
- Use iSTAR for 360 image capture from the same position (typically 10-15s per position, HDR 5 exposures) before moving tripod to next capture location.
- iSTAR uses industry standard tribrach adaptors for survey tripods or ALS adaptors for Faro to ensure rapid and accurate switching
- Repeat capture process for all desired positions
- Export scan data in E57 format, one file per position, into folder containing iSTAR raw data and calibration file
- Simply drag data folder(s) into ColourCloud browser bar, hit ‘process’, and wait for colourisation to complete
- Import re-coloured E57 data into scan processing or visualisation software of choice
NCTech can supply iSTAR with adaptors for Faro, Leica, Trimble, Topcon and Surphaser scanners and can work with any scanner exporting E57 with intensity data.
NCTech are open discussing integration of ColourCloud with any scanner or scan data software for easier and quicker colourisation of point clouds..
If your scanner or software is not listed here then please feel free to contact us to ask about integration.
iSTAR is the worlds highest resolution mobile mapping camera. With its low cost, versatility to connect directly to a range of IMU / Extended GPS systems and live stitched preview whilst recording, iSTAR is the ultimate solution for speed of deployment, ease of use and integration.
Vehicle mounted, iSTAR delivers high-resolution imagery that can be use in conjunction with LiDAR scan data or as stand alone data sets.
Utilising the iSTAR’s SDK (Software Development Platform) the data capture process can be customized to project specific requirements. This can be based on time, speed or position.
- High-resolution images captured at fast frame rates
- GEO referenced images with position, tilt and compass data
- Vehicle mounted including air, rail and water vehicles
- Integrate with laser scanners, IMU’s and third party software
- Image data can be captured in HDR
- Trigger iSTAR based on position, speed and time lapse
If you would like more information about mobile capture solutionsContact Us
Virtual Tours – DIY Google Street View – virtual and augmented reality – broadcast immersive media – virtual reality – augmented reality – 3D cinematography
iSTAR provides a rapid and simple method of capturing immersive 360 images for virtual reality, augmented reality or other digital immersive requirements.
iSTAR’s speed and simplicity provides easy access to 360 HDR imaging, perfect for providing a full digital immersive view of an environment in seconds. The resulting panoramic images can either be viewed independently, linked together via hot-spots to create a ‘virtual tour’ (similar to Google StreetView) or used within other third party application software.
- Digital asset capture for virtual reality / augmented reality
- Personal ‘street view’ virtual tours
- Content for broadcast and other media applications
Scenes of crime – collision investigations
iSTAR offers Police, Fire and other public safety organisations the with ability to easily document scenes of interest in full positional context in seconds.
iSTAR’s speed and simplicity provides easy access to HDR 360 imaging with minimal user training. The resulting panoramic images can either be viewed independently or linked together via hot-spots to create a ‘virtual tour’, similar to Google StreetView.
iSTAR’s has incredible low light capability and captures full 360 HDR images with one button press in seconds.
iSTAR is also perfect for external HDR imaging for laser scanning systems and is completely scanner neutral, rapidly colourising point clouds in our unique ColourCloud software, typically to within two pixel accuracy. This colourisation process is fully automatic without the need to export cube faces or pick any common points for cloud to image association.
- Scene capture, rapidly document details of the scene in full 360 degree context before any changes occur
- Witness view, capture full contextual images from the witness’ view point
- Driver view, show full 360 view from the drivers position, showing visibility etc
- Under vehicle, capture images inside a vehicles involved in accidents to document evidence prior to movement
- Court room, virtually take jury to the scene for cross examinations of defendants & witnesses
- Coroner examinations, virtual view of the scene to review facts surrounding the death
- Insurance liability, contextual information for improved liability decision making
Scan colourisation – asset management – heritage documentation
iSTAR is an ideal tool for use within surveying, architecture and engineering sectors, both for standalone visual documentation and also as a companion to laser scanning systems.
iSTAR’s speed and simplicity provides easy access to HDR 360 imaging, perfect for providing a full contextual view of an environment. The resulting panoramic images can either be viewed independently or linked together via hot-spots to create a‘virtual tour’ similar to Google StreetView.
iSTAR has incredible low light capability and captures full 360 HDR images with one button press in seconds.
iSTAR is also perfect for external HDR imaging for laser scanning systems and is completely scanner neutral, rapidly colourising point clouds in our unique ColourCloud software, typically to within two pixel accuracy. This colourisation process is fully automatic, without the need to export cube faces or pick any common points for cloud to image association.
- Rapid HDR capture, reduce time on site
- Instantaneous 360 capture, minimal impact from movement with scene
- Excellent low light capability
- Simple to use, minimal operator training
- Batch post-processing of data
- High resolution, 50 megapixel imaging
- Small and highly portable yet rugged construction
- Accurate automated colourisation of point clouds